City Council Priorities, Goals & Vision
City Council 2018 Priorities
Council's Strategic Goals
The Strategic Directions express key targets that must be accomplished to achieve its Vision. These Strategic Directions are:
Safe, Clean, and Attractive Neighborhoods
- Ensure higher levels of public safety, especially in neighborhoods under the most stress.
- Enhance the quality of residential neighborhoods by encouraging improved appearance and more community involvement.
Successful Businesses and a Solid Tax Base
- Increase the economic vitality of the City with strengthened ties between business and the general community.
A Community Where Residents Can Flourish and Youth are Nurtured
- Continue to encourage involvement of youth in our community by improving programs for children, pre-teens, and teens.
- Continue to support efforts to improve access to and affordability of early childhood care and education.
Orderly Planning, Development, and Functioning of the Community
- Support future growth and redevelopment in Downtown, other commercial areas, and along the transportation corridor to ensure a well-planned environment and promote a high quality of life.
- Continue efforts to increase entry - level housing, strive for a balance between jobs and housing, and provide incentives for City employees to live in San Mateo.
- Continue to invest in the long-term infrastructure needs of the City and create an identity for San Mateo that generates civic pride and responsibility.
An Open, Participative, and Effective City Government
- Continue to provide cost-effective and quality services that are accessible to all segments of the San Mateo community.
- Maintain City finances where expenses do not exceed ongoing revenues.
- Expand community outreach and participation opportunities for all who live and/or work in San Mateo.
- Continue to cooperate with regional partners, schools, and other agencies to improve infrastructure and services, strengthen partnerships, avoid duplication and decrease costs.
- Develop and maintain an organization that values employee participation and a sense of ownership.
City Council Vision
- Is a pre-eminent City between San Francisco and San Jose
- Has strong, attractive commercial areas and viable, wholesome neighborhoods
- Has a solid, healthy economic and financial base that cultivates innovation and technology
- Includes its diverse population in all facets of community life and is a nurturing place for youth
- Is safe and has well maintained infrastructure
- Is the cultural center of the County
- Is increasingly sustainable and a leader in reducing carbon emissions
- Facilitate the effective functioning and development of the community and its citizens
- Ensure all elements of the community are well represented in the government process
- Serve as both a facilitator and a provider in seeing that community needs and desires are addressed through the most appropriate, effective delivery system whether it is public, non-public or public/private partnership
- Serve as a consensus builder in the community and articulate collective direction
- Maintain a responsive, capable staff dedicated to serving the community in a non-bureaucratic manner and provide high value for the expenditure of public funds
- Look to the long-term future of the community and seek constant improvement, including increasing sustainability and reducing the community's carbon footprint
- Be a full partner in the sharing of common services and regional affairs that affect the City