- Community Resources
- Electric Leaf Blower Rebate
Electric Leaf Blower Rebate
Electric Leaf Blower Rebate Program
The City of San Mateo launched a new Electric Leaf Blower Rebate program. The program offers a rebate for residents and commercial landscapers and gardeners. Residents can receive a rebate up to 50% of the purchase price of an electric leaf blower, maximum $100 rebate and commercial landscapers and gardeners can receive a rebate of up to 75% of the purchase price of an electric leaf blower, maximum $500 rebate.
Please see program flyer and program application (Spanish) for eligibility, terms and conditions and how to apply.
City of San Mateo Leaf Blower Regulations
The City of San Mateo Municipal Code Chapter 10.80 Operation of Leaf Blowers regulates the use of leaf blowers to minimize noise and air pollution. The Municipal Code requires limits leaf blower use to Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm and Saturdays 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. The use of leaf blowers is prohibited on Sundays or on the following holidays: New Years Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.
In addition, any person who operates a leaf blower in a residential zoning district or in areas bordering a residential zoning district shall use a blower nozzle extension and shall run the blower at a low speed to minimize the noise.
Leaf Blower Tips
- Be courteous, make sure bystanders are at least 50 feet away and stop the blower if someone approaches
- Work carefully and safely, inspect the blower before and during use to make sure there is no damage to equipment
- Reduce noise, use nozzle attachments and operate the blower at a low speed to minimize noise
Alternatives to Leaf Blowers
- Let leaves lie, as leaves break down they provide great nutrients for your garden, consider letting the leaves build up under trees and shrubs to provide a natural mulch
- Use rake or broom, instead of a leaf blower try raking or sweeping up leaves and lawn clippings
- Reduce or replace your lawn, consider natural landscaping to limit area that needs to be manicured