- Commissions & Boards
- Becoming a Commissioner
Becoming a Commissioner or Board Member
The following vacancies have occurred on the city’s Boards and Commissions:
All applications are due 5:00pm, April 21, 2023
Submit an application online. Questions? Contact the City Clerk's Office:
Note: The appointed board member will complete the partial term through June 10, 2023 and continue to serve a full, four-year term through June 10, 2027.
Don't miss an opportunity to get involved! Sign up for email updates of any board or commission meeting agenda to be notified about new vacancies.
Problems accessing the application forms? Click the link below.
Click "View All Boards and Commission Vacancies" to see all openings. Select "Apply" to begin your application. Please contact the City Clerk's Office if you need assistance.
I'm Interested In Applying... What's Involved?
Serving on a Board or Commission is an opportunity for you to participate in local government and serve your community. Learn more about each of the boards and commissions. Start by attending a meeting of the Board/Commission to which you are considering applying (highly encouraged).
Term Length & Limits
- Commissioners and Board Members are appointed by the City Council and serve, without pay, for four-year terms. There is an opportunity to be re-appointed for up to two consecutive terms.
- Commissions meeting with different frequencies, but typically once a month. Additional time is required to prepare for each meeting.
- Commissions and Boards act under policies and ordinances of the City Council.
- See Board and Commission Rules and Regulations.
- Resident and a registered voter of the City of San Mateo
- Meeting attendance is required for Board and Commission Members
- Must attend a commissioner orientation session and any training offered
- You can also sign up for email updates and be notified when new vacancies become available.