- I Want To
- Rent a Community Meeting Room
Community Meeting Rooms
The Main Library offers three community meeting rooms located on the first floor:
- Oak Meeting Room
- Laurel Room
- Cedar Room
The meeting room complex is served by an adjacent kitchen with a microwave oven, refrigerator and sink that is available for use by prior arrangement. Additional amenities are available.
For additional information:
- Please download and review the application packet listed below.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Library Administration Office at (650) 522-7802, Monday through Friday, between 9:00am and 5:00pm to confirm if the room you are requesting is available prior to submitting your application.
Meeting rooms are available for rental use during the following hours, which must include any set up and clean up time for your event:
- Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 7:45pm
- Friday: 8:30am - 4:45pm
- Saturday: 9:30am - 4:45pm
- Sunday: 1:00pm - 4:45pm
Check the Library's Holiday Hours for specific closure dates.
Parking in the Main Library garage is limited to 2 hours Monday – Saturday from 8am - 5pm. Parking tickets will be issued to violators. View Parking FAQs and suggestions for alternate parking and transportation options.
Application & Rental Policy Process
- Download and complete Meeting Room & Facilities Rental Application Packet (PDF fillable form). This packet includes:
- San Mateo Main Library Meeting Room Application & Facilities Rental Policy
- Technology Services Request Form
- Closing & Sign Out Checklist
- Room set up examples
- Meeting Room General Information Sheet (a printer friendly version of the information listed below)
- Carefully review the Policy document for process and additional important information related to the use of Main Library meeting rooms.
- Print and initial Policy document where noted and sign to confirm you have read and understand the policies.
- Return signed Application & Policy, and if requesting technology equipment, include the Technology Services Request Form. Reservations will be considered on a first come, first served basis up to three months to the date in advance. If this date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, when the Administration Office is closed, reservations can be made the next business day, Mondays through Fridays 9am to 5pm. Applications can be emailed to email@example.com beginning at 9am on the first business date within the three month window, or hand delivered when the Library opens at 10am. The first application along with payment that is received will be the reservation confirmed. If the first application received was sent by email, an administrative staff member will call the applicant at the phone number listed on the application to confirm the reservation and accept payment by credit card. Subsequent applicants will be notified by email that their reservation request is unable to be processed based on the order in which their application was received.
Each room can be set up in a variety of different ways to meet your individual needs.
|Room||Approx. Dimensions (in feet)
||Square Footage (in feet)
|Oak||32 x 30
|Laurel||21 x 24
|Cedar||10 x 15
|Room||Resident of San Mateo or Hillsborough
||Non-Resident of San Mateo or Hillsborough
||San Mateo City Business
||Non-San Mateo City Business
|Laurel / Cedar
Non- Profit Rentals
|Room||501(c)(3) IRS Status
|Oak||$195 for 1st 4 hours + $30 for each additional hour|
|Laurel / Cedar
||$105 for 1st 4 hours + $20 for each additional hour
Music Recitals in the Oak Room
$145 flat fee for up to 3 hours - includes use of the Library's Bosendorfer Grand Piano
Fees for Using Credit Cards
As of July 1, 2020, all credit or debit card payments will be subject to service fees. Credit and debit card processing companies typically charge 2-3% of the billed amount which is paid directly to the company, not the City. You can avoid these fees by paying with cash or check.
For some rentals, a refundable security deposit, in addition to regular fees, is required. The security deposits are $350 for the Oak Meeting Room and $255 for the Laurel or Cedar Rooms.
The following amenities are available to enhance use of the community meeting rooms:
- A/V equipment: $40/meeting - Review Technology Services Request form for equipment details.
- Conference phone: $40/use
- Stage rental
- Single (8' wide x 6' deep x16" high): $160 per use
- Double (16' wide x 6' deep x16" high): $225 per use
Driving Directions & Library Access
For your information or to share with your event guests, you may download Driving Directions (PDF) to the Main Library. This document also illustrates how to access the meeting rooms prior to Library opening hours.