Docks and Improvements

City Code provides that encroachment permits may be issued to authorize construction and maintenance of improvements including, but not limited to, docks, ramps, fences, and slope treatment. The improvements must be maintained in good repair, and current in permit and insurance. A notice may be served upon the owner to remove the improvement if the structure falls into disrepair. Docks are a permitted use, not a mandatory obligation of the City. Each dock owner must pay an annual permit inspection fee and maintain a current Certification of Insurance, as well as a Hold Harmless Agreement that covers the City with regard to liability for personal injury or property damage that may occur because of the dock.

Prior to performing any maintenance or major repair work on your dock, bank, ramp, or fence, you first need to obtain a permit. 

Property owners may apply for a dock permit by contacting Public Works at (650) 522-7300. The application requires submittal of a set of plans in conformance with our Dock Permitting Specifications, and Certificate of Insurance in the amount required, with explicit language protecting the City, in order to construct or maintain a dock. 

If you have any questions regarding this program, please call (650) 522-7300.