How do I know which materials are approved for construction?
Some products commonly used in home remodeling projects require prior approval by the Building Division, or listed by a nationally recognized independent agency. Some of the listing agencies are Underwriters Laboratories (UL), American Gas Association (AGA), and the International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO). Some agency listings include prefabricated fireplaces and stoves, furnaces and heaters insulation, etc. When you have identified a specific brand and model you want to install, check with the Building Division to see if it has been approved for use in the City of San Mateo.

Show All Answers

1. Why do I need a permit?
2. When is a permit required?
3. What is exempt from a permit?
4. How do I obtain a building permit?
5. What is the permit process?
6. When are building plans required?
7. How does the plan check process work?
8. How do I get my plans checked or reviewed?
9. Do I need an Engineer or Architect?
10. May I do the work myself?
11. How do I know which materials are approved for construction?
12. What is an "Over-The-Counter" Mechanical Permit
13. What is an "Over-The-Counter" Plumbing Permit?
14. What is an "Over-The-Counter" Electrical Permit?
15. Are there any recycling or waste reduction requirements associated when applying for a building permit?