Do I need an Engineer or Architect?
The California Architect and Engineer Practice Act identifies the types of work that must be prepared and designed by an Architect or Engineer. Even if not required, you may choose to hire one for your project. Owner, contractors, and/or designers can prepare and sign plans for remodeling work or new construction of a single family dwelling of wood frame construction not more than two stories in height with spans between bearing walls not exceeding 25 ft.

However, special structural components such as engineered foundation or shear walls, retaining walls over four feet high, underpinning, rigid frames, structural steel or reinforced concrete or wood trusses, glu-laminated beams, columns and arches shall be designed and signed by a licensed architect, civil engineer or structural engineer.

Show All Answers

1. Why do I need a permit?
2. When is a permit required?
3. What is exempt from a permit?
4. How do I obtain a building permit?
5. What is the permit process?
6. When are building plans required?
7. How does the plan check process work?
8. How do I get my plans checked or reviewed?
9. Do I need an Engineer or Architect?
10. May I do the work myself?
11. How do I know which materials are approved for construction?
12. What is an "Over-The-Counter" Mechanical Permit
13. What is an "Over-The-Counter" Plumbing Permit?
14. What is an "Over-The-Counter" Electrical Permit?
15. Are there any recycling or waste reduction requirements associated when applying for a building permit?