January 26, 2019
San Mateo Main Library
55 W. Third Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94402
Music of Remembrance
Saturday, January 26, 2019
The Seattle-based group features music by composers whose lives, works and careers were profoundly impacted by WWII. The mission of Music of Remembrance is not only to remember the Holocaust, but also to impart vital lessons which extend to all those persecuted for their faith, ethnicity, gender, or sexuality. ** Oak Room, 1st Floor **
Kay Stern, violin, Emil Miland, cello, and Mina Miller, piano will perform these pieces in a unique concert:
- Prayer by Ernest Bloch (b. Geneva, 1880 – d. Portland, OR, 1959) Emil Miland, cello; Mina Miller, piano.
- Serenata (Terezín, 1942) by Robert Dauber (b. Czechoslovakia, 1922 – d. Dachau, 1945) Kay Stern, violin; Mina Miller, piano.
- Duo (1941) by Gideon Klein (b. Perov, Czechoslovakia, 1919 – d. Fürstengrube concentration camp, 1945) Allegro con fuoco - Lento Kay Stern, violin; Emil Miland, cello.
- Dybbuk Dances (Lodz Ghetto, 1941) by David Beigelman (b. Ostrovtse, Poland, 1887 – d. Auschwitz, 1945) Kay Stern, violin; Emil Miland, cello.
- Romanian Melody (1941)by Dick Kattenburg (b. Amsterdam, 1919 d. Auschwitz, 1944) Kay Stern, violin; Emil Miland, cello; Mina Miller, piano.
- Duo (1941) and Moderato - Zingaresca by Erwin Schulhoff (b. Prague, 1894 – d. Wülzburg concentration camp, 1942) Kay Stern, violin, Emil Miland, cello.