Curbside Holds Pickup
How does curbside pickup work?
- Place holds on the items you want in the library catalog. You may place up to 25 items on hold on your account.
- When your holds are ready, you will get an email, phone message or text message saying they are “READY FOR PICKUP.”
- Not sure if your holds are ready? Check your library account.
- Once your holds are “READY FOR PICKUP,” then schedule your pickup appointment in the link in the email or call (650) 522-7818.
- On the day and time of your appointment, follow the signs to pick up your holds.
- Your items will be checked out to you and ready for you to take home to enjoy!
Who can use this service?
Anyone with a Peninsula Library System card can make an appointment to pick up requested items from the Main, Hillsdale, or Marina Libraries.
Am I still limited to items at San Mateo Main?
No, most items throughout the Peninsula Library System (PLS) are now eligible. Due to varying staffing levels at the PLS libraries, some items may take longer to arrive than others.
How long before I can pick up my requests?
Our staff are working on fulfilling holds as quickly as possible. The wait time may be a little longer than what you were used to prior to the library closing due to varying staffing levels and limited deliveries. Please allow up to two weeks for your holds to arrive from other PLS libraries. You will receive notification when your holds are available for pickup.
When can I pick up my requests?
Pickup days and times for the Main Library by appointment only:
- Tuesday: 2:00 PM-6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
- Thursday: 2:00 PM-6:00 PM
- Friday: 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
- Saturday: 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
Pickup days and times for the Hillsdale Library by appointment only:
- Wednesday: 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
- Friday: 2:00 PM-6:00 PM
Pickup days and times for the Marina Library by appointment only:
- Tuesday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
- Thursday, 2:00 PM-6:00 PM
I have multiple items on hold, and email notifications are coming in individually for each one. Do I need to book an appointment for each item?
If you have multiple items on hold, typically the day before your appointment, staff will look up your account(s) and will process any and all holds that are ready at that time for your appointment. An item on hold will expire 12 days after you receive your initial email notification.
What if I have phone or text notification instead of email?
You will receive the link to make an appointment via text if you have text notification set up. If you have phone notification, please call us at (650) 522-7818 for assistance in making an appointment.
What is the process when I arrive during my appointment time?
- You must wear a mask to pick up your holds. Staff will also be wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) and observing social distancing. We cannot provide service to patrons who do not follow mask and social distancing policies.
- For the Main Library, park in one of the street parking spots on W. Third Avenue in front of the building. The library parking lot is currently closed.
- If there is no street parking available, you may use the book drop drive through area, but please pull forward to where the white divider pylons are. You may need to wait to leave if there is another person parked in front of you.
- Once parked you will need to exit your vehicle and walk towards the front entrance where the line forms, near the fountain.
- If there are other patrons waiting to be assisted, please observe social distancing protocol, and stand 6 feet away. There will be markers on the concrete so that you know where to stand when in line.
- When it is your turn, you will walk up to the table, state your name and the staff member will provide your items to you.
Can I return items that I currently have checked out?
Yes, you can return any materials you have checked out. The following times are available to return items:
- Monday-Friday, 10:00 AM-5:55 PM
- Saturday 10:00 AM-5:00 PM
- Wednesday & Friday 10:00 AM-5:00 PM
- Tuesday & Thursday 10:00 AM-5:00 PM
The library quarantines returned items for 96 hours before they are checked in, re-shelved, or returned to their home library. There may be a delay in your items being cleared from your account. No overdue fines will be accrued during that time.
Can I drop by and request items?
This service is by appointment only. If you have questions about the library or your materials, please ask over the phone or email as we are trying to keep these appointments contactless.
What if I need help requesting items or do not have a computer or internet access at home?
You can contact us by phone from Monday-Saturday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM at (650) 522-7818.