Parks and Recreation FAQ
Who can I call or email about questions I have?
- Call: (650) 522-7400
- Email: email@example.com
Are parks open?
As we all work to curb the spread of the virus and protect our community, we’re sorry to announce ACCESS TO CITY PARKS WILL BE LIMITED in order to protect public health. Please remember when venturing outdoors, to stay local and only visit areas you can walk or bike to, please do not drive or take transit to recreation areas. Parks are open for passive use only, please be careful when enjoying open space areas.
The following rules are in place at City Parks:
- Classes cannot run in city parks without a permit/approval from the City of San Mateo. If you meet the requirements and want to run a fitness class in a city facility/space, please see our application and details.
- No gathering. Stay at least 6 ft apart from others
- Playgrounds are closed
- All dog parks and play areas (including mornings at certain fields) are open
- Picnic areas & BBQ pits are closed
- Basketball courts are open to people within the same household
- Fields are open for passive use only (no organized sports or pick-up games)
- Restrooms are now open at the following locations:
- Parkside Aquatic
- Los Prados
- Beresford (near tennis courts only)
- South side of Seal Pt
- Parking lots are open with the exception of Ryder, Upper Beresford, and South Parkside Aquatic
- The Japanese Garden is open Monday-Friday from 10am-3pm and closed Saturdays & Sundays. Face masks are required for adults and a maximum of 20 people are allowed in at a time. Please follow social distancing rules in place.
- Poplar Creek Golf Course has reopened with safety precautions. To learn more and sign up for a tee time, visit www.poplarcreekgolf.com.
- Tennis Court are open. Safety protocols are in place, and players must register in advance for a court through our online registration system (www.sanmateorec.org) to book a time slot at Beresford Park. Reservations will be available from 8am-11:45am. Open play will resume in the afternoons. Please call (650) 522-7430 if you have any questions.
- The skate park has reopened! Please do not share equipment, maintain social distancing, and wear a face mask when social distancing is not possible.
- Bocce Ball Courts at Beresford Park are open for play daily from 8am-1pm. Please see the list of rules in our Summer Activity Guide Sports page.
For more information regarding San Mateo County Parks, please visit the County Parks Department web page for more information.
What summer programs are happening this summer?
- Summer Camp (Summer Bridge, Camp Mateo, Camp OAK, and X-treme Summer Days) begin Monday, June 22. Please visit www.cityofsanmateo.org/summercamps for more information or register online at sanmateorec.org.
- Specialty Camps- register now at sanmateorec.org.
- Aquatics & Pools - We have made the very difficult decision to cancel the Summer 2020 (June 15th -September 7th) Aquatic season due to COVID-19 concerns and the complexity to comply with the San Mateo County Health orders. This cancellation includes swim lessons, lap swim, recreation swim, swimmer aide program, and swim camps. Please visit www.cityofsanmateo.org/aquatics for updates in 2021.
How about facility and park rentals?
All rentals (inside centers and at parks) have been cancelled while the County Health Officer’s Shelter in Place Order is in effect. In addition, no rentals will be booked within this time-frame.
When will programs and classes be offered?
When will we know about programs/classes/events once the Shelter in Place Order has been lifted?
The situation is fluid, and we are following the recommendations based on the San Mateo County Health Department. We will continue to keep you informed as much as possible.
Which programs are still operating during the Shelter in Place?
Pre-Registration is required for the lunch program – please call (650) 522-7490 to be put on the waitlist.