Apply for City Council
Apply for the Vacancy on the San Mateo City Council
Application period: September 18 through October 23, 2019 5:00pm.
The San Mateo City Council is seeking applications to fill a vacancy for the City Council position vacated by Maureen Freschet for an interim term from November 18, 2019, through December 7, 2020. The seat is scheduled for election to a full four-year term on the November 2, 2020 regular election.
The Council will be looking for an individual who has a thorough understanding of the issues facing the City and who can demonstrate a history of active civic leadership, community service and engagement in San Mateo. In addition to regular Council business, the individual selected must be available to actively participate as a Council liaison to numerous external agencies and organizations as well as San Mateo Commissions.
- Must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible
- Must be a qualified elector (registered voter) and resident of the City of San Mateo, continuously, for at least 30 days preceding the time of the appointment.
- The application also requires the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700) as a candidate for office.*
Interested applicants for the City Council position must:
- Submit an application, including concise responses to the supplemental questions, by 5:00pm on Wednesday, October 23, 2019. Applications are also available at the City Clerk's Office - City Hall, 330 West 20th Avenue. All applications and responses to the questions, will be posted on the City’s website page for Council vacancy.
- If there are more than six applications, the City Council will meet at a special meeting on Monday, October 28, 2019, to determine who to invite as a candidate for a public presentation.
- If invited, appear at a Special Council Meeting on November 12, 2019 at the Downtown Library - Oak Room 6:00 pm. Council will ask clarifying questions on responses to the application and supplemental questions. Applicant will be asked to make a timed public presentation.
- The City Council will consider all candidates and make an appointment by ballot at this Special Meeting on November 12, 2019.
The public is invited to send clarifying questions on any applicant’s responses to the Clerk for inclusion in the agenda packet for the November 12, 2019 meeting.
Any endorsements on behalf of candidates, via email, regular mail, or in writing are to be sent to the City Clerk at 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The new City Council member will be sworn into office at the November 18, 2019 regular City Council meeting.
Download Application (PDF fillable)
Deadline: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 5:00pm
For additional information, please contact City Clerk Patrice Olds at email@example.com or by calling (650) 522-7040.
*When filing a statement of economic interests in connection with your candidacy for local office, investments, interests in real property, and business positions held on the date of filing your declaration of candidacy must be reported. In addition, income (including loans, gifts, and travel payments) received during the 12 months prior to the date of filing your declaration of candidacy is reportable.