City Services Academy
What is the City Services Academy?
The City of San Mateo’s City Services Academy is a comprehensive, hands-on learning experience that gives participants the opportunity to interact with City staff and learn about the challenges facing municipal government today. Interactive activities will give Academy participants a better understanding of the evolving principles of the City of San Mateo’s Council/City Manager form of government. LEARN MORE
The 2022 City Services Academy is now FULL. The maximum number of applicants has been reached.
- City Attorney
- City Clerk
- City Council
- City Manager
- Community Development @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Finance Department
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Library @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Parks and Recreation
- Public Works
- SMC Fire @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Meeting Dates and Times
When are the meetings?
The Academy will meet from 6:00pm-9:00pm on Wednesday evenings between August 17, 2022 and November 2, 2022.
[Exception: No class on October 5]
Where are the meetings held?
The Academy will be held at different locations throughout the course of the program.
Will we get a schedule?
Yes, a meeting schedule will be provided to you prior to the 1st meeting.
Cost and Application/Selection Process
- The Academy is FREE to all participants.
- To ensure the quality of instruction and interaction with participants, class size is limited.
- Class will be closed once we reach maximum capacity.
- The Academy is open to anyone, 18 or older, who works or resides in the City of San Mateo and has an interest in city government.
- Application Deadline: August 3, 2022 - CLASS IS NOW FULL. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2022 City Services Academy.
To be placed on the 2023 mailing list or for more information, please contact
Laurie Strange, City Manager's Office, at (650) 522-7019 or by email.
The City Services Academy is designed to provide those who work or live in the City with an opportunity to learn firsthand how the City of San Mateo is managed and operated.
Taught by City staff, the Academy will provide an interactive learning experience in which the instructors and students can learn from each other through case studies, site tours, class discussions, and hands-on experience. Participants will learn about challenges the City is facing and investigate how creative management and budgetary solutions have been used to address these challenges.
Academy participants will interact with department heads (such as the City Manager, Fire Chief, Police Chief, Public Works Director, City Librarian, Parks and Recreation Director, etc.) and City Council members to learn how new programs or ideas are implemented. City staff will discuss project challenges, budget and resource limitations, and how City Council policy decisions are implemented. Day-to-day operations will also be explored.