Go To Search
City Attorney
The City Attorney’s Office serves as the legal department of the City of San Mateo.  The attorneys in the office provide legal advice and representation to the city council, the city’s boards and commissions, and to the staff of the various city departments.

Typical responsibilities include:

  • Providing legal counsel to the City Council and the various boards and commissions on the laws applicable to their decision-making;
  • Assisting the City Council and the city departments in the development and drafting of city laws and policies;
  • Advising the various city departments on laws applicable to their operations to achieve compliance with state and federal requirements;
  • Reviewing and drafting contracts for the purchase of goods, services, and public works construction projects;
  • Providing for the representation of the city and its officials and employees in administrative and court matters either directly or through the use of outside counsel; and
  • Representing the city in administrative and court proceedings to enforce city laws.

The City Attorney is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of, the San Mateo City Council.  The City Attorney supervises three assistant city attorneys and administrative support staff. 

You may contact the City Attorney’s Office by calling (650) 522-7020, or by email at .

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find the San Mateo Municipal Code?
The city’s code may be found on the San Mateo City Charter and Municipal Code website.

I am a resident of San Mateo.  Can the City Attorney help me with my legal problem?
No, the City Attorney’s Office may only provide advice and representation to the city and its officials and employees.  Residents in need of legal assistance may contact San Mateo County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service at 650-369-4149 (for either English or Spanish.)

How do I file a claim against the City of San Mateo?
Claim forms may be obtained online or by visiting the City Attorney’s Office at 330 West 20th Avenue.  Please follow the instructions on the claim form

How do I request public records from the City of San Mateo?
Requests for public records may be submitted online through our Public Records Request Portal.

San Mateo City Hall – 330 West 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403

CivicPlus Content Management System © 1997- CivicPlus. All rights reserved.
All content © 2006- San Mateo, CA and its representatives. All rights reserved.