Spotlight on Service
2016 Outstanding Volunteer Honorees
The Outstanding Volunteer Honorees have been selected this year to give a face to all citywide volunteering.
This Ceremony is in addition to individual department volunteer recognition events that happen throughout the year. There are many more wonderful volunteers contributing in San Mateo every day.
– Senior Center Wednesday Afternoon Bingo “Caller” with 18 years of joyful enthusiastic service
– Teen leader making a difference on the Youth Activities Council and engaging other students in community outreach
– 10 year service at the Japanese Garden talking to visitors with a big smile and feeding the koi fish with the parents and children
– Upbeat and friendly, highly skilled Library and City Hall volunteer providing excellent customer support wherever she serves
Mary Lou Dragonryder
– Sorts returned books, supports staff, advocates for the Library and is a dedicated Project Read Tutor
– She is a perfect match at the City Clerk’s Office: highly skilled, always willing to handle different kinds of documents and projects, accurate recordkeeping and cheerfully always ready to go the extra mile
– Project Read tutor using his bilingual skills to teach English is changing lives one student at a time Peninsula-wide in the under-served communities
Karen Herrel, Marie Brown and Sherri Bade
– Front Counter Triage volunteers team delivers a high level of customer service in an extremely busy police environment
Visa Inc. and Visa Asian Employee Network Peng Chau and Soya Han
– With their strong commitment to community service, Visa employee volunteers have been active as planners and sponsors for many community events over the past 3 years including the Annual 25th Avenue Spruce Up, Laurelwood Park Team Up to Clean Up, Autumn Moon and Generation Walk for Wellness supporting Seniors at Self Help for the Elderly.