Election and Voter Information
Volunteer to serve as an Election Officer.
Register to Vote
- Voter registration information is available through the San Mateo County Election website: ShapetheFuture.org.
- The San Mateo City Clerk’s Office provides voter registration forms during office hours:
Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm.
We can assist you in locating your voting precinct as Election Day approaches and on Election Day.
- California Voter Registration Information: http://registertovote.ca.gov/
General Municipal Election
General Municipal Elections to elect council members are held in San Mateo on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each odd-numbered year.
Qualifications for Office
A person must be a registered voter of the City of San Mateo and have resided continuously in San Mateo for at least thirty days immediately preceding the appointment or final filing date for nomination papers.
The City Clerk is responsible for the administration of all municipal elections by:
- Serving as Elections Official and issuing nomination papers to potential candidates;
- Serving as Elections Official for the initiative and referendum process;
- Serving as Filing Officer for Campaign Statements and Statements of Economic Interests as required by the Political Reform Act and administered by the Fair Political Practices Commission (www.fppc.ca.gov);
- Maintaining the City’s election history.