The City of San Mateo awards grants to nonprofit organizations providing a variety of housing and human services to San Mateo residents through its community funding process supported with Community Development Block Grant Funds from the Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD). The basic project eligibility requirements are described below.
The City of San Mateo Community Funding Program is designed to address four specific core service needs within the community and grantee organizations must address at least one of the following within their funded programs.
- Basic Human Needs; i.e. access to food, shelter, clothing, legal services, etc.
- Senior Services
- Youth Services
- Affordable Housing Services - Preserving or providing affordable housing
Community Development Block Grant Funds (CDBG):
This category of Federal funds can be granted to eligible organizations with projects that meet the national program objectives of:
- Serve a clientele of which at least 51% are low-income as defined by HUD; or,
- Serve a target low-income neighborhood as defined by the CDBG Program Area Map; and,
- Works to achieve any combination of the following outcomes and objectives:
- Objectives: Decent Housing, Suitable Living Environment, Economic Opportunity
- Outcomes: Availability/Accessibility, Affordability, Sustainability